Hazard Mitigation Grants for Residents
The Federal Emergency Management Agency offers three grants under the Hazard Mitigation Assistance grant program. These grants cover up to 75% of project costs to make hazard mitigation more affordable. The remaining 25% is the responsibility of the homeowner.
Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP)- The key purpose of HMGP is to ensure that the opportunity to take mitigation measures is not lost during reconstruction following a disaster. Funding is made available following authorization of a Presidential Major Disaster Declaration.
Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC)- Previously known as Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM), the BRIC program guiding principles are supporting communities through capability- and capacity-building; encouraging and enabling innovation; promoting partnerships; enabling large projects; maintaining flexibility; and providing consistency. It provides an opportunity to implement mitigation prior to a disaster. BRIC is an annual, nationally competitive program and funding is based on the previous year's nationwide disaster expenses.
Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)- Only mitigation activities related to flooding hazards are eligible under this program. FMA grants are funded annually by Congressional appropriations from the National Flood Insurance Fund (NFIP) and are awarded on a nationally competitive basis.
Common Project Types
Acquisition and Demolition
Acquisition and demolition projects include the voluntary acquisition of property, demolition of the structure, and return of the property to its natural state. This project type is the most cost-effective due to the complete mitigation of the hazard. A&D projects may be funded under HMGP, BRIC, or FMA depending on funding availability and hazard type. High-risk houses along the cliffs and NFIP Repetitive Loss/Severe Repetitive Loss properties are most competitive and encouraged to apply.
Elevation projects involve lifting a structure off of its existing foundation, construction of a new foundation that elevates the structure above the Base Flood Elevation for the flood plain, and re-attaching the structure to the new foundation. Elevation projects are available for properties in the flood plain with flood insurance through the NFIP. Repetitive Loss/Severe Repetitive Loss properties are most competitive and encouraged to apply.
Application requirements will vary depending on the project type and the hazard being mitigation. In addition to documentation that will be provided by the Division of Emergency Management for completion, the following items will be required:
Acquisition & Demolition:
- Property appraisal
- Plat survey
- Color photos of the house
- (Flood ONLY) Copy of NFIP Insurance
- (Flood ONLY) Documentation of past flood events
- (Cliff ONLY) Certified imminent threat letter from engineer
- Itemized cost estimate for demolition
Elevation (Flood ONLY):
Application Process & Timeline
The application process for hazard mitigation assistance grants takes up to two years from initiation of the process to funding awards. Required documentation must be submitted to the Division of Emergency Management by the deadlines provided. The calendar below provides estimated dates and deadlines for the annually-recurring BRIC/FMA programs.
NLT July 15th: Resident must initiate the application process by completing and submitting the Pre-Screening Questionnaire to Calvert County Division of Emergency Management. Once received, CCDEM will contact the resident to provide additional information.
NLT August 1st: NOIs due to the Maryland Department of Emergency Management (MDEM) by CCDEM for the current year BRIC/FMA application cycle.
August 31st: Final deadline for resident to submit application materials to CCDEM for subapplication development.
Mid-November: Subapplications due to MDEM for initial review.
Mid-December: Revised subapplications due to MDEM.
Late January: Final subapplications will be submitted to FEMA by MDEM.
July 1st: Funding decisions for subapplications released by FEMA.
Because the availability of HMGP funding is disaster dependent, the timeline will vary from BRIC/FMA. The timeline(s) for currently available HMGP funding will be posted below.
For questions about the HMA grant program, please contact Emergency Management Specialist Kara Buckmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.